The Elisabeth Morrow School (EMS) provides exemplary academics and character development in a diverse and inclusive child-centered community, inspiring students to become curious scholars, ethical leaders, and global citizens.
Its values, inculcated by its staff and in its graduates over the last nine decades, have stayed true to its core, as the historical, private school in Englewood has grown with the times in enrollment, in pedagogy, and in serving the needs of each of its students.
In the beginning, in 1930, a young teacher by the name of Elisabeth Morrow, daughter of Elizabeth Cutter Morrow and Dwight Morrow, financier and the Ambassador to Mexico, took over a fledgling preschool in her hometown of Englewood, moved it to a rented Dutch farmhouse, and renamed it The Little School.
With smiles and outstretched hands, Elisabeth and her Smith College classmate Constance Chilton greeted 40 students — from 18 months to age 5 — at the doorstep of school, which later became The Elisabeth Morrow School.
That was then.
Today, EMS teaches almost 400 students from age 2 through eighth grade. Chilton House is for students age 2 through kindergarten; Little School is for first to fourth graders, and Morrow House is for fifth through eighth-grade students.