Fair Lawn shul marked 65 years on February 13
search

Fair Lawn shul marked 65 years on February 13

Left, the site of Temple Beth Sholom in 1961 and right, Temple Beth Sholom today. (Photos courtesy TBS)
Left, the site of Temple Beth Sholom in 1961 and right, Temple Beth Sholom today. (Photos courtesy TBS)

On February 13, 1957, 40 people met in a Fair Lawn classroom, established a traditional Conservative synagogue on the eastern side of Fair Lawn and named it Temple Beth Sholom. Brothers Murray and Martin Sincoff pledged to donate the first Torah; charter memberships were offered at $10 per family. Within a year, 100 families had joined. Beth Sholom’s first High Holiday services were held at the Fair Lawn Beach Club, and it bought its first building, which it called the “Pink House.” In 1960, the First Reformed Church of Ridgewood sold TBS land on the corner of Fair Lawn Avenue and Saddle River Road, which was known as the “red barn nursery property.” That’s where the synagogue was dedicated in May 1962. In 1981, Temple Ohav Shalom of Rochelle Park merged into Beth Sholom, and in 2007, the Elmwood Park Jewish Center joined the shul family.

According to Beth Sholom’s president, Mitchell Friedman, “This anniversary serves as a tribute to our founders, and to the vision they had for a traditional Conservative synagogue in Fair Lawn. Congratulations to all of our members and clergy, past and present, who have contributed to our reaching this milestone.”

A celebration is being planned for later in the year. For information, call (201) 797-9321.

read more:
comments