The pandemic has caused inconceivable damage over the last few months, including forcing venerable local businesses to close. One of those businesses is the well-known Harold’s Kosher Market in Paramus, which owners Glen and Bobby Shorr’s grandfather opened in Fair Lawn in 1956. Harold’s closed its doors in April after struggling with the loss of distributors and a shortage of staff and customers.
The Shorrs began to donate their leftover merchandise — much of it frozen — to local charities and food pantries; soon they realized that those pantries did not have clientele who had a taste for chopped liver or gefilte fish.
Bobby Shorr had been inspired by the work of Jewish Family and Children’s Services of Northern New Jersey and its food pantry. He went to the JFCS annual gala last fall, when James Janoff, the Jewish Standard’s publisher and Bobby’s college friend and colleague, and his sister, Beth Chananie, were among the honorees. Mr. Janoff put Bobby Shorr in touch with JFCS’s CEO, Susan Greenbaum, whose organization runs a kosher food pantry.
Two weeks ago, Mr. Shorr dropped off many boxes of frozen and non-perishable items at the JFCS Corner Market pantry. The frozen goods overfilled two large freezers; items included gefilte fish, chopped liver, fish sticks, borscht, and beef pierogies. Dry goods items included tea and coffee, jars of gefilte fish, matzah ball mix, soup nuts, Geffen soap, food prep bags, and disposable Shabbat candle holders.
The Harold’s donations already have gone into the bags of many of JFCS’s food pantry clients for their High Holiday meals.
If you require food assistance, go jfcsnnj.org/market to sign up to receive pre-bagged food items. To donate or volunteer at the Corner Market reach, email Michele Wellikoff at micheleW@jfcsnnj.org or call (201) 837-9090.