Fire away

Fire away

Hot tips' to prevent fires

Any used matches should be run under water before being discarded in the trash.

Menorahs, especially homemade or school project menorahs, should be checked to ensure that they can properly hold a candle. Candles that have their bases melted and then pushed into the menorah may fall several minutes later, starting a fire.

Children should only light candles with a parent helping and holding onto the candle. Children must be made aware of the dangers of open flames and should be told to then stay away from the menorah.

For smaller children, a safer option such as cloth menorahs with fabric candles that Velcro in place may be a better option.

Avoid injuries by making sure that loose clothing, long hair, or other body parts do not come into contact with the candle flame.

Keep candle flames away from decorations or household items that may burn. If there is a choice, purchase flame resistant or flame retardant decorations.

Menorahs should not be kept on windowsills where curtains may contact the flames, or fall due to the thinness of the ledge.

If possible, tables with lit menorahs should not be placed adjacent to doorways where they may be more easily knocked over, starting a fire that may cut off an exit way.

If the menorah uses oil, put in only the amount needed and put the rest of the oil away so it is not exposed to flames.

For oil menorahs, use only glass or metal oil holders, not plastic, which may melt and burn when coming into contact with a candle flame.

Electric menorahs should be checked for damage to bulbs, electrical connections, and broken or frayed wires prior to use. Do not use the menorah if such damage is seen.

Check electrical menorahs for a UL listing on either the box or on a label connected to the cord. Labels should be read fully. There may be limitations on the amount of hours or days of continuous use. Replacement bulbs should be of the same size, wattage, and base type as the original.

Electric menorahs should not be placed in areas where they can be exposed to moisture or fall into water, such as over kitchen sinks. Shock hazards must be eliminated.

read more: